About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Arianne. I'm a technical writer by day, painter/baker/short-story writer by night. Oh, and I love cats.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

College Students Say The Darnest Things

Alright, everyone, let's have a little flashback to that time that you watched "Mean Girls". Forget about how it was often raunchy and crude, and focus in on all the little hidden truths in there. Like how girls really can be MEAN. And how sometimes you can be best friends with someone one year and the next year they accuse you of being a lesbian and then steal your silly little Santa Claus Girl dance routine. And how no one is really sure what second cousins are. And sometimes, people have something called "word vomit". (note: I want to assure all of my readers as I just had to assure my mom that there isn't anyone being mean to me and that no one has called me a lesbian and stolen my dance routine. It's from the movie.)

vomiting pumpkin cake!

I have word vomit quite a lot actually. Some people give it another name; they say I'm "blunt". They don't always mean it in a good or funny way either. Oops.

Sometimes being blunt helps keep me honest and reduces miscommunication. Sometimes though, word vomit just makes me look stupid. Like today.

Today, I had my student development class. It's supposed to help me choose a career and then figure out how to get it. So that's handy. We were all going around introducing ourselves, and we had to say something
REALLY unique about ourselves. Seriously, if the professor didn't think it was unique enough, he made you keep talking until you said something more satisfactory. I said that I was a descendant of Old King Cole. He didn't think that was quite enough, and he asked me to give them some more details on that. And I couldn't stop it. I tried to keep that word vomit in, but it just spewed out of my mouth for the whole class to hear, "Well, all I know is that he's my ancestor and that he was a merry old soul."

Yeah. I said that. He stopped pestering me after that.


Old King Cole Illustration

It's ok though, 'cause right after that a guy got up and said that for fun he had a giant tire in his backyard that he likes to push from one end to the other. Over and over again. Yep.

1 comment:

  1. bahaha! arianne! this is hilarious. and in a good way! :) if i had heard you say that, I would have thought you were just being funny, and laughed, not word vomiting. haha. but the guy with the tire....now that's just random. :)

    ReplyDelete